Conservation and Protection of the Sardinian Deer, Fallow Deer and Wild Boar in the Monte Arcosu Forest SCI
The Sardinian Deer, Fallow Deer and Wild Boar conservation and protection service within the ‘Foresta di Monte Arcosu’ SCI Management Plan involved various activities in two lots.
The following actions were carried out in Lot 1:
- Evaluation of the numerical consistency of wild ungulates: Sardinian Deer (Cervus elaphus corsicanus), Fallow Deer (Dama dama) and Wild Boar (Sus scrofa meridionalis) through Distance sampling applied to Infrared thermography, Faecal Pellet Group Count, Bramito Census in the breeding quarters;
- Study of the carrying capacity of the territory.
The following actions were carried out in Lot 2:
- Experimentation of repellent products for deer defence of some natural and semi-natural habitats;
- Germplasm collection and sowing for pasture improvement;
- Sowing of fodder crops on pasture land;
- Forest cleaning for wildlife purposes.
CLIENT: Provincia di Cagliari – Settore Ambiente
DATE: 2011 – 2015
PARTNERS: WWF Oasi soc. Unipers. a.r.l.